By Jae Curtis
Let’s face it: The summers of 2020 and 2021 ranged from “underwhelming” to “apocalyptic nightmare.” Your plans for sun, sand, and maybe a beach read or two might have been derailed. But whatever 2022 serves us, you can make plans for a fantastic summer by making sure you’re healthy and happy when the temperatures heat up. From glowing skin to a better sex life, use this summer beauty guide to survive and thrive this summer.
Emerging from months of colder weather and Netflix binges might have your skin feeling dull and dry. Here are some tips to help you get your glow on.
- Brighten up! For summer beauty, it’s all about brightening up and fighting those signs of dryness and aging with the right products. Our Skin Revitalizers duo gives you the perfect tools. VitaCorrect Solution is a summer must-have: It reduces the look of existing dark spots, plus helps fight the emergence of new ones. SuddenlySmooth Gentle RetinAll includes a hydrating retinoid for a formula that visibly brightens, lifts, and reduces the look of wrinkles.
- Protect yourself. Retinoids can make your skin look brighter and more radiant, but they can also make it more photosensitive. Invest in a good sunscreen that’s at least SPF 30 and remember that you can mix and match products for your face and body.
- Double up. When using more products during the day, it’s even more important to take it all off at night. Try a double-cleansing method to cut through the extra moisturizer, sunscreen, and makeup you use in the summer. Swipe your face with micellar water or makeup removing wipes first and then use a gentle cleanser.
Summer beauty calls for shinier, healthier hair that can better withstand the effects of the sun, water, and sand. Make sure to add these to your hair-care checklist:
- Mask it. Hair masks give your locks an extra layer of protection and moisture and work great in the sun. Turn a session by the pool into a masking opportunity by smoothing one over your hair, putting your hair into a braid or a bun, and allowing the heat from the sun to accelerate the effects.
- Nourish from the inside out. No topical product can compensate for a lack of nourishment, no matter what they promise. Give your hair what it needs from the inside out by taking our Hair Regeneres supplement all summer long. It’s formulated with B vitamins, bioactive keratin peptides, and more to help reduce age-related hair loss and strengthen your strands for thicker, fuller hair.
- Think protection. Help your hair survive the summer by adding protection from the sun. A chic sunhat, protective styles like braids, or a breezy scarf add to your look while helping your hair avoid damage from harmful UV rays.
Body and Fitness
No matter what your fitness goals are this year, make sure the summer months contribute rather than detract from what you’re working on. It’s all about leveraging your time and energy to make the best of summer fitness.
- Set realistic goals. Don’t set yourself up for failure by setting goals that are next to impossible. Instead, set and track measurable targets for your health, like leveling up your weightlifting by 5 or 10 pounds, finally achieving the perfect eagle pose in your yoga class, or adding a mile per week to your long runs.
- Get creative. The novelty of summer activities can give your fitness routine an extra jolt of energy, especially if you’re burning out on the usual. Swap the treadmill for a pool when you need a cardio workout; join a sunrise yoga class; take a hike instead of doing your typical leg day; paddleboard rather than suffering through another core mat workout. You might find a new activity you love while soaking up the sun.
Your sexual wellbeing is every bit as important to your summer survival as nourishing your body and sticking to your fitness goals. If you’re feeling, uh, less-than-inspired with your sexual health, try these ideas to spice things up and give your body the love it deserves.
- Get confident. The sudden switch from sweatpants to swimsuits might have you feeling a little intimidated. Warm up to it by investing in some sexy nightwear to test the waters and get confident in the skin you have now. Even a silky tank and shorts can help you show your body some love, which will definitely translate to a healthier sex life.
- Schedule something new. Whether you’re single or attached, a new experience can jumpstart a winter-stale sex life. Even something as simple as a staycation at a local boutique hotel, a couples’ yoga class, or safely trying something you’ve always wanted to experience in the bedroom can give you new connection and confidence for the sexiest summer ever.