If we are what we eat, then I am currently a giant chocolate cookie from my favorite treat shack, with a side shot of caffeine. Not my best choices, but… deadlines, ya know? We all understand that what we eat has a big impact on our overall health, and it’s no secret that it also plays a role in skin health. Many of us supplement with herbs and vitamins to help make up a little of the difference when our nutrition is lacking. Can that have an impact on our skin, or are topicals the only way to see improvements? We break it down in this article.
Can We Eat Our Way to Better Skin Health?
Yes! Vitamins, minerals, fruits filled with antioxidants… they all help our bodies function optimally. Anything we ingest gets sent throughout our body via the bloodstream, which means it can impact multiple organs, including our largest organ: the skin. One of the most famous examples of something we ingest affecting our skin? Accutane.
Accutane was an isotretinoin formula know for its remarkable ability to clear up acne. Isotretinoin is a vitamin A derivative, and while the brand name Accutane is no longer being used, other isotretinoin formulas are still available. These are drugs, of course, but they show that ingesting something can have a big impact on the look of our skin.
Why Do We Need Supplements?
For most of us, meeting our optimal nutrition goals every day is next to impossible. In fact, the CDC states that fewer than 1 in 10 U.S. adults eat enough fruits and veggies. In general, we eat too much sugar, too much sodium, too much fat, and not enough nutrient-rich foods. This affects our health (40% of U.S. adults struggle with obesity, not to mention high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, and the list goes on). And, of course, a poor diet can also affect our skin.
While supplements can’t completely reverse poor nutrition choices, they can help fill in a few gaps and inch us closer to our health goals. And this can have a positive effect on overall wellness, as well as on our skin. The National Library of Medicine states, “Nutrition is a key factor influencing skin health and consequently its appearance.”
What Should I Look for When I’m Supplement Shopping?
To find effective, skin-happy supplements, there are a few things to watch for.
- Clinically validated ingredients: Some supplement companies add exotic-sounding ingredients to their blends, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they’re effective. Look for formulas with clinically studied ingredients.
- Science-backed formulas: Look for supplements made by companies who rely on science and have experts on staff who develop their formulas based on clinical studies.
- GMP-certified facilities: GMP stands for Good Manufacturing Practices. To earn this certification, manufacturers must be FDA approved and follow protocols that help ensure the products they make are consistently produced according to controlled quality standards.
- Time-tested companies: Choosing a supplement company with very little time in the industry can be… iffy. A company with proven experience and customers who’ve already earned their trust means you’re less likely to end up paying for a product that won’t give you results.
Which Supplements Are Best for Skin Health?
Sadly, my favorite gigantic cookie does me no favors, either with my nutrition goals or with my skin. (I could argue that it feeds my soul, but that’s a topic for another time.) If you’re like me and could use a little help in the skin-happy nutrition department, we have some options that will nourish your skin from the inside-out.
- Skin health and overall wellness: A trustworthy multi-vitamin can help bolster your nutrition and put you ahead of the game when it comes to supplementing specifically for better skin. Our Women’s Multi-Vitamin Pack gives you vital daily nutrients for whole-body wellness, including a blend specifically for free radical protection, anti-aging, and skin health.*
- Skin, mood, and more: If you’re looking for something different from a multivitamin, check out SeroVital® ADVANCED. It contains ceramides, hyaluronic acid, and collagen and keratin peptides to transform your skin. This 2-part system also boosts human growth hormone naturally and promotes increased energy, more restful sleep, a better mood, and weight loss.*
- Protect and replenish: Formulated with ceramides, collagen peptides, hyaluronic acid, a botanical antioxidant blend, and more, our Skin Restore™ formula fights free radicals, pollution, sun damage, and uneven skin tone, plus helps protect against skin breakdown.* Just remember that Skin Restore should always be paired with sunscreen!
- Skin, stress, and hormone support: Our newest supplement, ClearBalance™, works from within to reduce blemishes, improve the overall appearance of the skin, and reduce stress, which is known for increasing skin flareups. Packed with potent ingredients like zinc, myo-inositol, l-theanine, and a specialized melon extract, it’s the perfect way to improve the look of your skin while also promoting feelings of well-being.*
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.